Thursday, April 9, 2009

What's so Maundy about today?

Today, Maundy Thursday also known as "Holy Thursday" or "Shire Thursday" commemorates Christ's Last Supper and the initiation of the Eucharist. Its name of "Maundy" comes from the Latin word mandatum, meaning "command." This stems from Christ's words in John 13:34, "A new commandment I give unto you." It is the first of the three days known as the "Triduum," and after the Vigil tonight, and until the Vigil of Easter, a more profoundly somber attitude prevails (most especially during the hours between Noon and 3:00 PM on Good Friday). Raucous amusements should be set aside...

So, did anyone attend Mass tonight where they incorrectly washed the feet of women?
I didn't for a change! HAHAHAHA!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did anyone ever point out to you that on Good Friday, it often rains or is dark at the noon-3pm time? It is uncanny how it often seems to happen.

And lol what's going on in the picture? (I don't ask literally, it's the last supper, I know). But it just looks kinda funny. I guess Jesus is the one with his head on the table. But which is the one that got shafted with just a sliver of his head on the left side?

Um, anyway...

-L

The Rockin' Traddy said...

Which one got shafted? That's funny!

I would say Jesus is sitting up dead center with the host. Judas is dipping his bread, and John is probably the one putting his head on the table.

And yes, it is scheduled to rain here later on. In all my years, I do not remember many sunny and beautiful Good Fridays.

manofemmus said...

yes they washed the feet of women at our parish St Martin de Tours in Gaithersburg MD ...dispite the efforts of many holy men and women who are Obedient to the Pope and the rubrics of the Holy Roman Missal.

God Bless,

Paul P.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, you know, I bet you're right. Since John was one that fell asleep or when Jesus was praying. I didn't even see the one with the host. I guess I thought the head down one looked distraught and his hair was all blonde and angelic so I figured it was Jesus although it made him look like a slacker. And yeah... Judas was pretty obvious with his eeviiill bread dipping.

And yep, at 2:19p.m. it began to rain outside for ten minutes or so...


-L

Anonymous said...

Roaming Catholic writes: I was taught that on Holy Thursday, 2 sacraments were instituted; the Priesthood and Holy Eucharist. Many years later, when I taught CCD I was told that the Day was all about discipleship (the washing of both genders' feet instead of men's only(Priesthood))and the Holy Eucharist. I disagreed and therefore (and for other reasons)I roam.