Sunday, January 10, 2010

Scumbag Of The Day

Strong Language Alert!

I really hate to get all riled up on the evening before my new baby enters this world, but it would seem there is another King's College student begging to receive my coveted award.

Meet Nathan Strawn.

He thought it would be cool to piss all over the Nativity on display on Public Square in Wilkes-Barre.

I hope Kings has the balls to boot this punk-ass right out of school. But I'm not holding my breath.

Here's the story from WBRE TV.

WILKES-BARRE, LUZERNE COUNTY -- After a holiday season of controversy surrounding one nativity scene in the city, another has been desecrated.

The nativity scene on Public Square is already missing baby Jesus and a wise man. Now, police say a college student urinated on the display, adding insult to injury.

Police say 22-year-old Nathan Strawn, a King's College student, is responsible. It happened just before 2:00 A.M. Sunday. "Actually, I think it's kind of embarrassing for the community and the college," said Anna DelleCave of Wilkes-Barre.

She says she spent years working at a restaurant and bar frequented by King's College and Wilkes University students who would party into the early morning hours, but she says this is too much. "It's not acceptable. It's going a little too far," she added.

"I think it's an isolated incident," said Wilkes-Barre Mayor Tom Leighton. "While I'm disappointed, I think our relationship will continue in a positive way, and I wouldn't want this to have a bad reflection on our partnership with the schools."

A King's College spokesperson tells Eyewitness News when students break the law, they not only face the legal ramifications, but they can also face student disciplinary hearings on campus.

"I don't think there should be punishment, but I definitely think there should be a public apology, because it's disrespectful," added DelleCave.

Mayor Leighton says when it comes to local college students respecting the city, he believes this incident is the exception, not the rule. He says it's especially unfortunate, because the nativity scene was already set to come down this coming week.

Strawn faces several charges, including indecent exposure, public drunkenness and desecration of venerated objects.

The following is a statement received from the Public Relations Office of King's College:
"King's College, through the Dean of Students Office, reviews student behavior that takes place on and off campus. Such behavior that is described in the report not only is a criminal violation of the law but is an affront to the mission of King's College and a violation of the Student Code of Conduct. Such behavior will be addressed swiftly by the Student Affairs Office in a manner that is fitting the seriousness of the offense to the College and Wilkes-Barre community."

If you would like to let this fellow know what you think of him, he may be reached at nathanstrawn@kings.edu

10 comments:

Christian said...

What a strangely appropo photo you posted. I think that rather than we all telling him what we think, we remind him of the opportunity our Lord presents to him to turn from the road he's on, come before the cross, unclench the fist and bow the knee.

Christian said...

Just lookin at his limited website on Kings. He lists the classes he has taken.
I wonder what Grade he got in:
Core 120E Quantitative Reasoning
Core 100I Critical Thinking
PS294A Leadership for the 21st Century
Core150B Human Behavior/Social Institutions

I hope he got an A in:
Core 115O Effective Oral Communication
Core s110A Effective Writing
becase he's clearly gonna rely on those skills soon.

Anonymous said...

Right now, I'm totally embarrassed to say that one of my son's graduated from Kings College. I did not raise my boys to behave like this. How disgusting!! Hope you're happy Justin Vacula. You started all of this.
Elaine

Anonymous said...

Just another thought; by looking at his picture, is he proud of what he did? Is he daring anyone to do something about it? What gives with these young people of today? I also have a 21 year old college student, and he would no more do anything like this idiot did, than the man in the moon. I hope his parents are proud of the wonderful job that they did in raising him.
Elaine

Philothea said...

I forwarded your "Scumbag" post to my 22-year-old daughter, a recent King's graduate (yes, if I had it to do over again, I would do a better job of finding out how "Catholic" a Catholic college is before sending my child there). Here is her response:

"Wow … he truly does look like a scumbag, too …

"That's just a pathetic story. But yes … there are a lot of icky fellows like this one that attend King's (like any school). It's a Catholic college, but they unfortunately can't screen out applicants who may get drunk and make idiots of themselves …

"King's is pretty good about cracking down on stuff like underage drinking, public urination, noise pollution, etc., as long as the police/public are involved. Otherwise, it seems like more of a don't-ask-don't-tell policy …"

I hope that, if King's gets enough bad press from incidents like this, it will have enough impact on their enrollment numbers (read: financial bottom line) that they will alter their "don't-ask-don't-tell" policy.

My daughter moved out of the dorms after her freshman year because she couldn't stand the obnoxious heavy-drinking environment.

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to see the terms 'scumbag of the day,' 'piss' and 'punk-ass' come from the author of a blog dedicated to matters concerning traditional Catholicism. I also find it unnecessary to encourage harassment by publishing his email address. Nathan issued a public apology, in which he devotes himself to assisting St. Mary's Church with community service and abstaining from drinking. I believe that exemplifying a good Catholic would include contemplating the idea of forgiveness, rather than bitterness. Isn't that what it's all about?

"He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone..." John 8:7 KJV

-Gianna

Anonymous said...

obviously this kid can't hold his booze if he is leaving the bar before 2AM.

/am I right??

Hoagies before Hoes

Anonymous said...

FYI for some reason, whenever I click on your page this obnoxious box comes up asking me to sign in to Kings College as a student, or something. Maybe connected to the picture you linked to (which no longer shows up for me). I click the box away and all is fine but...just wanted to give a heads up in case it's happening to other people too. I just, come back so eagerly to your site for news that the obstacle of having to click that box away is too much to bear! (Just kidding, but really, more as a heads up than anything. Maybe it's just my computer).

-L

Philothea said...

Anonymous, the same thing is happening to me, on several different computers. Yes, I think it is coming from the website. At first I thought it was because my daughter (a King's grad) had signed on to my computer and logged into her old King's student account, but she had not.

I think we have a King's College "gremlin" that is attacking Traddy and his readers.

Anonymous said...

Roaming Catholic writes:
What's next? Catholics who go to Mass every Sunday that are pro-abortion?