Friday, February 13, 2009

Scranton Diocese Priests!!!


Take Notice!

It is absolutely 100,000,000,000 times cooler to wear a cassock than that suity thing you guys are wearing. It is 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times cooler than those short sleeve tab collar shirts you guys wear in the summer. (shudder)

Father Longenecker had a cool post about wearing the cassock I just found.

You guys should really wear them.

As should your Altar BOYS. But that's another post, isn't it?

I don't really see how you expect make other priests unless you guys return to making serving at the Altar something special and meaningful for BOYS again.

But that's another post, isn't it?

I mean, you guys were kids once too, right? You remember how you rebelled and stayed away from girls and didn't do the same things as girls, right? And how girls were icky? And how you STAYED AWAY from doing the same things that girls did, right?

But that's another post, isn't it?

After four months of wearing my cassock and Benedictine scapular everyday as my work clothes, certain advantages and disadvantages have become apparent:

Pros
  • It looks smart
  • It really is more comfortable than a jacket
  • If your ermm, body shape fluctuates you have more expansion room
  • the pockets are capacious
  • It's cool when you want it cool--you can wear shorts and T-shirt underneath
  • It's warm when you want it warm--just wear warmer gear underneath
  • the high school kids generally think it cooler than a tab shirt etc.
  • it looks great with the big black cape I still have from my English days
  • the scapular makes a handy hotpad for getting things out of the oven
  • people in airports take notice
  • it is a sign of contradiction
  • a guy at the cash register at Office Depot asked about RCIA
  • The scapular makes you look thinner
  • it says 'Catholic and proud of it' in the Bible Belt
  • You are not mistaken for an Episcopalian
  • You can hide a sawn off shotgun underneath the robes
  • You can't misbehave when wearing the uniform

Cons

  • They're more likely to frisk you at the airport security... You might have a sawn off shotgun hidden up there
  • The scapular gets stuck in the car door
  • Personal errm...hygiene matters become more complicated
  • It can be tricky going up stairs
  • Like the Scotsman's kilt--people wonder what you wear underneath
  • The cat thinks the scapular is a plaything
  • The children think the scapular is a plaything (it is treated as a train or blindfold)
  • You're mistaken for a monk.
  • You're not mistaken for a monk.
  • The scapular gets caught in the spokes of the motorcycle wheel--definitely not good--especially at high speeds
  • All those buttons....but I'm not cheating with one of those zip up jobs
  • People at airports take notice
  • You can't misbehave when wearing the uniform

5 comments:

Father G said...

"I don't really see how you expect make other priests unless you guys return to making serving at the Altar something special and meaningful for BOYS again."

Preach it Rockin'. In my experience as a priest, btw, a traditionalist, boys need this and the WANT it. They want something that means something to them, something that can define them and that they can aspire to. If they see a priest who is convinced of what he is and what he is doing, on the inside, eg. faith, devotion, viril piety and on the outside, eg. cassock, religious habit or at least proper clerical garb(ummm... all the time), then the boys will follow...sure as the sun rises in the east, they will follow. I'll save the whole question of girl altar boys and other such nonsense(EM's and lectors and lectresses) for another comment.

The Rockin' Traddy said...

Thanks Father!

I am glad a traditional priest is hangin' around my blog. Makes me feel safe!

The Church is in quite a pickle isn't it? It'll take some years of atrition to get back our Catholic identities, but I think we will get there sooner than later.

Hope I'm still around to see it.

Where are you from in PA, if I may ask?

email me at therockintraddy@gmail.com

But you don't have to.

I'm not the boss of you.

Father G said...

Rockin,
Thanks for the welcome and keep up the good work on the blog. I'm not sure how I found it, I think through a link from another trad blog. In any case, you're right we have to dig in and fight now more than ever and pray much for God's grace to remain steadfast. The great Cardninal Siri said once that it will very likely take the Church 200 years to recover from Vatican II(which imo was a complete disaster). I hope it doesn't take that long.
I will tell you this... I'm not in nor am I from PA, but I do have some priest and seminarian friends from there. I'm a priest in one of the approved trad groups that offer the TLM exclusively and I'm known for being very politically incorrect. That's why I like you blog. So you may "see" me around from time to time.

God bless,
Father G

P.S. I sent this comment once before but I don't think it went through.

The Rockin' Traddy said...

Do you happen to belong to The Institute of Christ the King?

We have in our Diocese right now 78 Churches slated to close, and some very beautiful ones very close to me.

We could have "Throw darts at the heretic" instead of bingo. Think of the possibilities!

RT

Father G said...

Yeah, I know about all the church closings...tragic. Alas, the same is happening everywhere in the US and we are only so many...this is why we need to pray daily for vocations, especiallt traditional vocations. As it stands now, we're spread already mighty thin in the States, so you've got to be patient. Although, there is good news, we have six seminarians who well be ordained to the diaconate next month(March 21st), so that means six new priests next year and three of those will be americans...so keeping praying!

I think the dart thing would be awesome, we could have pictures of all our favorites as the background of the dart board, offer a small cash prize and serve beer. I'd be great and alot more satisfying than Bingo...