Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tell your Senator Oppose Sotomayor!

This was forwarded to me today, it is already a few days old, so we must act right away.

Earlier today, the Senate Judiciary Committee voted to send the nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor to be the next Justice on the US Supreme Court to the full Senate for a vote. That vote is expected to happen in the next few days.

During the hearings on her nomination, I hoped that she would repudiate the radical views of the pro-abortion legal advocacy group on whose board she sat for 12 years - the Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund (PRLDEF). During that time, the PRLDEF filed six amicus briefs before the Court arguing that any limitation on abortion should be struck down.

Unfortunately, Judge Sotomayor did not offer any reassurance that she will be anything other than a strong promoter of abortion if confirmed to the Supreme Court.

So, I provided testimony before the Committee and explained why it was necessary for us to oppose her confirmation to the Court.

Now, I need you to join your voice with mine.

Will you contact your Senators and ask them to vote against the confirmation of Judge Sotomayor to be the next Justice on the US Supreme Court?

We've set up a page on the AUL Action web site that makes it easy to do. And then, please ask your friends and family to do the same.

This is a crucial time. Thank you for helping.

For life,

Charmaine Yoest, Ph.D.
President & CEO
AUL Action

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God Bless Sonya Sotomayor, she will bring true Catholic thinking to the bench!

Proud Catholic

The Rockin' Traddy said...

Thanks for coming around, Proud.

Can you list for the record what "...true Catholic thinking" is? I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Christian said...

LMAO

Anonymous said...

Dear Proud Catholic,

Have you read The Catechism of the Catholic Church? I haven't read it yet either. But I have my copy and am slowly getting through it.(It is a reference book, so doesn't flow like, for example, the bios of saints, which can be facinating. Have you read any of those? Have you read the accounts of Marian apparitions? Have you plowed through any Papal Encyclicals, or easier-to-read explanations of them? Do you watch or read contemporary conversion stories?

You identify yourself as a Proud Catholic, so I was interested to know what it is about our faith that makes you feel proud?

I, too, am proud to be Catholic, especially since I had my "reversion" from being a cradle Catholic, who was very poorly catechized in the 1970's. I was steeped in relativism.

I want to share what brought me from there to becoming a joyful traditional Catholic.

Not pride, but Humility.

Humility made it impossible for me not to want to learn, read, research,and grow in my faith.

It makes it impossible not to pray for others, not to want to sacrifice, like Christ, for others.

It is a never-ending free-fall, where one becomes a sponge, soaking up more and more,until inevitably, of course, it always leads one straight back to the traditional devotions, prayers and practices.

It is like falling in love, except, once in love, you continue to fall.

Humility helps one to understand words like obedience and submission. They become positive, without the spin of our current culture. I am proud that Catholics see love as a choice. One can choose to be obedient, which might be difficult, or to choose to sacrifice, out of love and... humility.

This incredible process makes it possible to see why so many saints called themselves "wretches" and such. Why, I used to wonder, are they so hard on themselves?? -- Because once they embraced the truth,they could clearly see how far they were from where God wanted them to be.

I never understood Confession, but as a newly converted Catholic, I went, with tear-filled and sincere repentence. (I had been steeped in some pretty good sin, which my former new age relativism made me think was just okey-dokey.) Then I began to experience startling, immediate healing after these confessions. I experienced personally why it is such a Blessed Sacrament. This was not a psychlogical healing, it was a removal of demonic oppression. (look it up)

I'd like to mention, as a side note, that once you have actually SEEN demonic presence in your home, as I have, it forever convinces you that we are constantly in a battle of Good vs. evil. Satan and his little demonic buddies are alive and well!

But back to the main point: Being Catholic was always meant to be a path to holiness and union with God. It isn't a state of being, but a process.

One beauty of Vatican II was instruction to the laity that it was their duty to identify a vocation. This secular vocation could be as simple as being a wife who helps her husband toward Christ. Being Catholic calls us to participate, within religious or secular life, as a member of the Church Militant!

It is hard for others to understand how there could be such joy in that path, even if one's life is submerged with pain or with struggle with sin.

Being Catholic is not a warm, fuzzy, feel-goody state of being. It is not inclusive of all ideas and political beliefs.

From that perspective, Judge Sotomayor has failed to be true to her faith. She has failed to even understand what her job would be as a Defender of the Constitution. I beg you to research both the job definition of a Justice, and to read what the Church says a Catholic MUST do to be faithful.

Oh, dear Proud Catholic,why not research the Judge's record from the perspective of the Catechism before talking about what a good Catholic Justice she would be!

With all respect, I would be interested to hear from you after you have done some homework.

Sincerely
A Humble Catholic
and a Traditional Mom