Saturday, January 31, 2009

What about us?

If you recall, when the planning commission released their recommendations on the church closings, they had thought it prudent to close, among others, Holy Rosary. They also had two "also recommends" for Cluster No. 3.

Namely they asked to move the Hispanic ministry from Holy Rosary to St. Patrick's.

They also asked to see if there was a need for the Latin Mass in Wilkes-Barre. Surprise! The Latin Mass just happens to be said at Holy Rosary, which they want to close.

"Whoa! Hold your horses, Padre's", I said.

Of course there is a need.

Ask the forty or so faithful Catholics that attend the Old Mass at Holy Rosary every Sunday at 8am.

Well so far the question on whether or not there is a need for the Mass has not been answered.

Bp. Martino did indeed choose to close Holy Rosary, and he did decide to move the Hispanic ministry to St. Nick's/St. Mary's.

No mention so far of the Usus Antiquior and it's fate. We are running out of churches in Wilkes-Barre.

Has the question been determined?

Hopefully more news is forthcoming.

Pray the Bishop will follow to Holy father's wishes and tend to ALL of his flock.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the risk of incurring displeasure there is something I would like to say. The 1st TLM I ever attended was at Holy Rosary. I never got there very often because of the distance and the hour. The last time I attended there I had a very unpleasant experience because of which I have never returned. I like to say the responces with the servers which I never do loudly in fact I am so quiet even at a dialog mass that I can not hear myself whisper. However on this occasion I was stared down coldly by the lady in front of me even though I was doing nothing but moving my lips and no sound was coming out. She stared me down more then once. Perhaps other vistors have gotten the same treament and have not returned because of it. I now travel the extra distance to St Michael's because there I made to feel welcome. Anyhow, that is my 2 cents on my experience.

The Rockin' Traddy said...

Well that is an odd experience to be sure. If it were only that one lady, and Holy Rosary was more convenient for me, I would sit somewhere else or else just give her the stare back.

But I'm a jerk like that. You may not be.

And this is also church we are in, not high school. She should be more interested in what is happening up on the altar instead of behind her.

I myself prefer St. Michael's over Holy Rosary. The atmosphere at St. Michael's is far superior. Plus it actually feels like a parish. And I like that.

But then again, Holy Rosary is 3 minutes from my house by car.

In any rate, we shall see what happens in the next year and a half with the Usus Antiquior crowd in Wilkes-Barre.

We will of course, have it all right here.