Thursday, August 20, 2009

Priest Booted Out Of His Church

OK. Here is the story from my pal the Catholic Caveman. I'll let him make the case without interjecting. If I get into this it'll get uglier than it already is.

Something Foul Is Afoot In Red Springs!
Or as The Bard would say - "something's rotten in Robeson County"

WARNING! Harsh Language Alert.

Alas, poor Father Ospina I knew him well. No... really. I know Father Ospina. I've had a couple of "disagreements" shall we say, with him in the past, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Well, there are a few (OK, a lot) that I would wish this on, but not good ol' Father Ospina.
Here's some of the article from The Fayetteville (NC) Observer; (Emphasis and comments mine.)

Red Springs parishioners lock out priest in protest

RED SPRINGS - A large group of parishioners of the Iglesia Catolica San Andres padlocked their pastor out of the church Sunday morning to protest his continued assignment to the Spanish-speaking Catholic community of Robeson County.
(Any specifics as to why they were muy PO'd at Father? Read on.)

Father Walter Ospina, who is 33, tried to enter San Andres, or St. Andrew Catholic Church, by a side entrance before morning Mass.

In addition to the lock that had been bolted outside the side door, a sign on the glass read, "Iglesia Cerrada hasta que tengamos nuevo parroco. Justicia!!" That loosely translates to "Church closed until we have a new priest. Justice!"
(Now I'm just a college edjumacated retired Gyreen, but this has all the signs of a direct challenge to the Bishop of Raleigh. Just my opinion.)


This is getting my Irish up. Read the rest here.

2 comments:

Christian said...

This kind of thing happened a few times in our Diocese. At Sacred Heart in W-B back in the 1920's as well as Holy Saviour in W-B I believe. Police on horseback had to be called in.

The Rockin' Traddy said...

Really? Do you have specifics?